In the world of juicing, there is a big difference between centrifugal juicers and masticating juicers. Centrifugal juicer machines operate at very high speeds, ranging anywhere from 3,000 rpm to 14,000 rpm (rotations per minute). On the other hand, masticating juicers run at very low speeds such as around 80 rpm. Big difference, right?
Centrifugal juicers are known for their high speed, fast shredding, and quick juicing method. It’s a reliable and efficient method that has been used for ages!
However, due to the high speed of the centrifugal juicers, this means that heat oxidizes some of the nutrients from your juice while passing through the machine and it also results in a less thorough extraction of juice. That’s why for some centrifugal juicer machines out there, the pulp left over is still moist; every ounce of juice is not extracted.
Along with this difference, there is a benefit to all this as well. Don’t get me wrong, both types of juicers are excellent but do things in a slightly different way. This actually leads to a big difference in results.
Masticating juicers, on the other hand, perform a slow “chewing” process that extracts the juice through breaking down the cells walls of fruits and vegetables to release an abundant amount of juice and nutrients. Instead of utilizing a high speed rotating disc, masticating juicers use a gear that rotates slowly to crush your favorite food items effectively.
Breaking and crushing down the cell wall is crucial as it increases the number of antioxidants and other nutrients, thus giving you more bang for your buck!
Masticating juicers have always been seen as superior to their centrifugal juicer in the respect that these “chewing” juicers provide a much higher yield of nutrients and better quality juice. This, in turn, gives you more health benefits than centrifugal juicers.
Masticating juicers are also able to effectively juice leafy greens and stringy roots. All centrifugal juicers struggle with juicing leafy greens and you have to come up with some creative ways to get your nutrients, such as putting your leafy greens between hard fruits and vegetables.
However, masticating juicers are definitely meant for the more serious juicers. Masticating juicers have improved efficiency and versatility, but this also makes them a more expensive investment. Centrifugal models generally come at a price range between $50 to $500 or so. However, masticating juicers come with a price tag anywhere between $200 to $2000.
However, you’ll definitely higher quality juice and even more of it! Since masticating juicers are a big investment, here is a quick buyer’s guide to the best masticating juicers of 2019. These juicers are top quality machines that are well received from buyers and users.
How To Choose The Right Masticating Juicer
Currently, there are many different brands of masticating juicers out on the market, all are equally viable to extract juice from your favorite produce efficiently. Here are some things to consider before making your investment into a masticating juicer.
Horizontal Or Vertical?
Masticating juicers come in two basic body styles – vertical and horizontal. The horizontal units are slightly more efficient because the food is fed directly into the auger, but as the technology has gotten better, the difference may not be noticeable to the average user. Horizontal units take more counter space, but vertical units might be too tall to fit under kitchen cabinets.
Easy pulp ejection
Most slow juicers have their own pulp collecting containers either externally or internally. For those that don’t, you might have to place the cold press juicer over a trash bin.
Some consider this messy while others think of it as having one less container to clean. For those with collecting containers, we recommend an external one. With this, you won’t waste time stopping to empty the basket.
Does it offer alternatives?
Slow Juicers with different speeds and different types of strainers are best. For example, when it comes to speed, slow speed will work best for soft fruits such as grapes while high speed works well with harder fruits such as apples. For strainers, a coarse strainer allows you relatively more pulp in the juice while a smoother one leaves little or no pulp. It all depends on how you like your juice.
How wide is the chute?
This is important as a wider chute or feeder tube allows you to throw in some fruits and vegetables whole without having to cut them. For those that still need cutting, you cut relatively bigger portions than those that go into a smaller chute.
Wider chutes also mean a lower likelihood of clogging and fewer chances of oxidation. High levels of oxidation mean your juice doesn’t last very long.
How big is the cold press juicer and its parts?
If you have less counter space you might want to consider a cold press juicer with a small footing. Alternatively, you can opt to create space for a bigger one. A cold press juicer with larger collecting cups or containers is preferable if you do a lot of juicing at a time. It will be less time-consuming than having to keep transferring juice into larger containers every few minutes.
What will you be juicing?
Not every cold press or mastication juicer is good at juicing everything. Some are best at juicing fruits and vegetables while others do sauces, butter, and baby foods much more easily. Some work best with soft foods, others with hard foods while some can do both relatively well. Cold press juicers with twin gears, for example, are good at slow juicing hard produce such as the nutritious watermelon rinds but can be too much for soft fruits.
How easy is it to clean?
This is especially important if you will be juicing regularly. Cold press juicers can’t be left to dry so they must be cleaned after every use. You need a juice you can easily run water through in between juices
If you are not a cleaning person, get a cold press juicer whose parts are dishwasher friendly.
Pro tips: Running a lemon through the cold press juicer keeps it smelling fresh and ensures no staining, especially where plastic is involved. A new toothbrush can also work as a brush.
How often will you be using it?
Some cold press juicers aren’t wired to handle gallons worth of juice. They can easily overheat or just quit on you. If you won’t be juicing on a regular, a cheap cold press juicer is okay. However, if you see a lot of juicing in your future, buy something a little more expensive.
Some juicers have also been known to overheat when used for long periods in one sitting. Others have safety protection against overheating which means they can shut down for up to an hour if you overuse them. Buy heavy duty cold press juicers if long periods will be involved.
What’s your budget like?
How much you are willing to spend is also a factor to consider. You can get relatively affordable masticating juicers that are good quality but you have to live with some downsides such as hand washing, a smaller chute and having to cut up foods before juicing them. More expensive cold press juicers usually have more perks (though that doesn’t happen always).
The nitty gritty
You need to consider, is it loud? How long will it last when used daily and when used less often? What is the warranty on that particular cold press juicer and is it limited? How easy is it to operate? Choose according to your preference.
Best Masticating Juicers Of 2019
SKG Wide Chute Anti-Oxidation Slow Masticating Juicer
- LOW SPEED MINIMAL OXIDATION MASTICATING JUICER – Compared with juice from centrifugal juicers, our juice is much more nutritious, tastes better and fresher, and lasts longer. Top Quality 240W AC motor with low speed of 60 RPMs (the golden ratio of force and time) – Squeezes ingredients with minimal oxidation, preserving natural taste & nutrients lost by high-speed centrifugal juicers that grind, crush, and heat (from the fast-rotating blade).
- 3″ INCHES (76MM) LARGE MOUTH WIDE CHUTE – can easily accommodate large produce items; has more resistances to clogging; greatly reduces preparation and cleanup time – Less chopping of the ingredients also helps to reduce oxidation, as the bigger pieces of ingredients, the harder they get oxidized.
- HIGH JUICE YIELD WITH LITTLE OXIDATION – High juice yield (Orange 85-90%, Pear 78-83%, Apple 65-75%, Celery 65-70%, Carrot 42-47%) – The strainer base and the valve provide a sealed space to hold juice during juicing to prevent oxidation. The valve should be shut during juicing.
- 16 LBS HEAVY-WEIGHT HIGH-QUALITY ANTI-OXIDATION BUILD – All parts (the stainless steel, the silicone components and the PEI juicing screw) are made of high quality TRITAN food grade anti-oxidation materials. The product is certified by ETL, CE, and ROHS. – Sleek Design and Piano Varnish – Sturdy handle for easy moving and cleaning of the 16 lbs heavy-weight juicer – Comes in a premium quality gift box.
- DEVOTED CUSTOMER SERVICE – For Amazon customers, this product comes with 1-Month free trial & 2-Year warranty for all parts and accessories & Extended 10-Year warranty for the motor and main body – Product warranties are automatically valid with Amazon order ID. No other proofs or registrations are required – Additional spare parts at deep discounts are sold at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01935EOSQ – Free life-time customer consultation by SKG at https://www.amazon.com/seller/SKG-ELECTRIC
Tribest Slowstar Vertical Slow Juicer and Mincer
The Tribest Slowstar Vertical Slow Juicer and Mincer is the best single auger, cold press, masticating juicer for extracting juice your favorite fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens. This juice extractor’s included Mincing Attachment turns the Slowstar into a multi-purpose mincer and homogenizer to create fresh, raw recipes like sorbets, nut butters, salsas, and sauces. The Slowstar is a 2-in-1 machine that is the perfect solution to get the most out of your produce.
The Slowstar Vertical Slow Juicer and Mincer is a cold press juice extractor with a low speed of 47 RPM with a 200 Watt motor and a 3-stage speed reduction gears that produce the equivalent amount of torque as a 9 HP motor. Unlike centrifugal juicers, the low speed, cold press method of the Slowstar preserves the nutritional quality and increases the shelf-life of your juice by reducing oxidation. The powerful motor reduces the chance of jamming when juicing hard vegetables like carrots and beets, setting the Slowstar apart from the competition. The Duoblade Double-Edged Auger creates a double cut for each turn, doing twice as much work compared to a traditional single-blade auger, making juicing faster and easier. Not only can you juice with the Slowstar, but you can turn it into a multi-purpose tool: just replace the top of the machine with the Mincing Attachment to start homogenizing your ingredients to use in your favorite recipes. The Slowstar also comes included with a deluxe stainless-steel strainer, two 26 oz. pulp/juice collectors, and a cleaning brush.
- LOW SPEED, HIGH-QUALITY, HIGH-YIELD JUICE EXTRACTION – The low speed juicing at 47 RPM make juices taste better, stay fresher for longer, and retain their nutritional quality; unlike high-speed, centrifugal juicers that spin at thousands of RPM which oxidizes the juice even before you can drink it. Instead of juicing by high-speed cutting and spinning, the Slowstar slowly presses and squeezes the juice from your produce so you can enjoy all the nutrients they have to offer. The slow juicing method also increases your juice yield by 30-40%, decreasing food waste and saving money. The low RPM has the added benefit of operating quietly, so you can enjoy your juice any time of day or night.
- UNIQUE DUO-BLADE DOUBLE EDGED AUGER – The Duoblade Double-Edged Auger is made from the high-quality, BPA-free plastic Ultem, which is up to 8 times stronger than traditional plastics used in other juicers, so cutting through fibrous produce like celery and carrots are a breeze. The uniquely designed Duoblade auger has two cutting edges for each revolution. This means that less pre-juicing prep is required and the juicing process is faster, allowing you to save time and energy while still incorporating nutrient-dense juices into your diet.
- INCREASED VERSATILITY WITH THE MINCING ATTACHMENT – Where as other vertical juicers do not have a mincing attachment option or comes only as an optional accessory, the Slowstar comes included with the Mincing Attachment, turning the Slowstar Juicer into a 2-in-1 juicer and mincer. Just change out the top juicing attachment for the mincing attachment and now you can use your Slowstar to make fresh salsas, healthy frozen fruit sorbets, and raw nut butters. Maximize your intake of fruits and veggies with your creative use of the Slowstar mincing tool.
- POWERFUL 200 WATT 3-STAGE SPEED REDUCTION MOTOR – The efficient 3-stage speed reduction gears inside the Slowstar motor convert 200 watts of power into the torque equivalent to a 9HP motor. The powerful yet energy saving motor cuts through your toughest vegetables with less jamming, preventing unnecessary delays in your juicing session as with lower quality juicers. In addition, you can spend less time pre-cutting your vegetables because the nearly 30 lbs. of torque and the vertical orientation of the auger easily powers through your produce and is virtually self-feeding.
- BPA-FREE, HIGH QUALITY, STAIN-RESISTANT PARTS – All the parts of the Slowstar Juicer and Mincer are made of high-quality, BPA-free plastics that are stronger and more stain-resistant than parts found in cheaper juicers. Rest easy knowing that your juice is free from harmful BPA chemicals found in lesser quality plastics and save time cleaning the stain-resistant auger and stainless steel juicing screen when juicing colorful vegetables and greens.
- MULTITASKING PULP WIPING AND MIXING ASSEMBLY – The pulp wiping assembly turns while you juice so the auger housing remains clear of pulp buildup on the walls and the juice from your recipe is mixed before it is expelled through the juice spout. This added feature not found in second-class vertical juicers makes a big improvement on your juicing experience, making it clean and easy to see, as well as premixing your juice for added convenience and taste.
- ELIMINATE LEAKS AND DRIPS WITH JUICE CAP – Open the juice cap at the end of the juice spout to allow your juice to flow into your container, or close it to let your juice mix inside the juicing housing or when you’re switching collecting containers. Keep your countertop free from drips of juice and the detachable cap makes for easy cleaning.
- INDUSTRY LEADING 10-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY – The Slowstar comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty and a devoted Customer Service team at Tribest Corporation. The decade long warranty is a testament to the quality of the Slowstar Juicer and Mincer. You can be confident of making fresh, healthy juices for a long time to come.
Hurom H-AA Slow Masticating Juicer
- Sleek Design: With a streamlined design that includes smooth curves that gradually become slimmer in the back, the H-AA slow juicer brings you stylish, yet modern beauty. The wavy curves on the bottom further highlight the design and make it functionally easier to move.
- Slow Squeeze Technology: The H-AA slow juicer rotates at a speed of just 43 revolutions per minute to mimic the motion of a hand squeezing juice. Our patented Slow Squeeze Technology ensures your juice stays fresh and retains all of its natural nutrients.
- Taste & Pulp Control: We’ve spent decades perfecting our slow juicers for taste. Juice created with a Hurom slow juicer is fresh, unprocessed and pure. The H-AA slow juicer also comes with a control lever and fine and coarse strainers that allow you to control the amount of pulp to suit your taste.
- Yield: Our unique low-speed auger squeezes every drop of juice, resulting in bone-dry pulp.
- Easy to Clean: Making multiple juice recipes in one sitting? No need to separate and clean the parts between each use. Simply run water through the juicer to rinse clean. Once finished, separate and clean thoroughly. Intuitive assembly and disassembly exist for quick use and cleanup with compact parts and no sharp blades. The inner spinning brush rotates during juicing to clean the chamber and strainer simultaneously, reducing clogging and increasing juicing efficiency.
- Quality: Made with a BPA-free, impact-resistant ABS plastic body, our slow juicers are extremely durable. The heavy-duty Ultem strainer and auger are 8x stronger than traditional plastics, allowing our slow juicers to handle years of daily use.
- Versatility: Works wonderfully on fruits, cruciferous vegetables, leafy greens, nuts and soybeans to create nutritious juices, milk, tofu, and more. The H-AA also has the ability to create healthy ice cream straight from the chamber.
- Safety: Duplicate safety sensors only allow the unit to operate if the chamber is completely and accurately assembled on the base. A built-in cooling system with integrated heat vents prevents overheating. The chute is sized to keep even small fingers out.
- Works Quietly: Our near-silent AC motor works efficiently using just 150 watts of power, which means you can enjoy cold pressed juice at home without the noise caused by traditional juicers and blenders.
Omega NC900HDC 6th Generation Nutrition Center Electric Juicer
- Low speed juicing system
- 80 RPM rotation speed
- 5 adjustable settings for maximum juice output;Use setting 1 for citrus fruits and setting 5 for tougher items like wheatgrass
- Continuous juicing with automatic pulp ejection
- Includes 6 nozzles and 2 juicing screens
- Masticating juicer chrome
- Low speed juicing system, 80 RPM rotation speed
- Exclusive “Dual Stage” masticating extraction
- 5 Adjustable settings for maximum juice output
- Continuous juicing with automatic pulp ejection
Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Masticating Dual-stage Juicer
- Easy-to-use masticating juicer with powerful motor
- Low speed of 80 RPMs; no foaming, clogging, or heat build-up with 110 volt
- High juice yield; auto pulp-ejection function for continuous juicing
- Dual-stage juicing system; quiet operation; UL- and cUL-approved
- Measures 14-1/2 by 6-1/2 by 15-1/2 inches; 15-year warranty. The juicer screen is already installed in the juicer.
Kuving B6000S Slow Masticating Juicer
- Wide Feeding Chute for easy and fresh juicing Easy clean system Easy assembly Smart Cap Kuvings slow juicer’s patented technology World’s strongest brushless motor Crafted for safety
- Made of Ultem Tritan ABS and PC Premium design shape makes your kitchen more beautiful.
- Easy clean system Smart Cap Convenient and Spotless Stop dripping Easily self rinse External rotating easy brush
- Powerful 240W Motor Quiet operation Can process very fibrous fruits and vegetables Unit stays cool quiet and stable Dual safety system with 3-way ventilation 60 RPM 120 V
- Unique patented technology called J.M.C.S (Juicer Module Comprising System) to extract nutrients
- 76mm-wide feeding tube
- The patented Technology (J.M.C.S).
- 3 in 1 Multi-Function (Juice, Smoothie, Sorbet).
- Slim design for saving kitchen space.
- Fresh juice without any additives.
- A rotating cleaning brush for easier cleaning.
- Smart Cap for combining juices and preventing leaks.
- Safety-lock & Cooling system.
- Quiet operation.
Tribest GSE-5050 Greenstar Elite Cold Press Complete Masticating Juicer
- New Sleek Design – The new modern lightweight streamlined look matches to any kitchen counter complimenting your kitchen style and design.
- New Locking Mechanism – By changing the locking system from removable turning knobs to a stationary latching system, the new one snap step offers optimum convenience and an easier way to assemble and disassemble the machine.
- Added Safety – Greenstar Elite prevents injury by eliminating your chances of interacting with moving parts by including a safety switch system attached to the safety hood, which disables operation when the hood is removed. Also, all the parts that touch food are BPA-Free.
- Easy Clean Up – By combining parts through the new sleek design, there are fewer parts, which means there is less to clean. Additionally, the included safety hood can be used as a basket to cradle the juicing parts after cleaning providing you with storage space for drying without taking up any additional space on the counter.
- New Easy Grip Outlet Adjusting Knob – The knob has been re-designed to include easy grip ridges so you can easily grasp, turn and manually control the pressure inside the machine quickly so you can juice a wider variety of fruits and vegetables of different consistencies.
- Higher Yields – Designed to maximize the yield and nutritional value of your juice, Advanced Heavy Duty Jumbo Twin Gears, with the same magnetic and bioceramic technology as the original twin gears, extend the juicing process from two to three stages – crushing, mixing, and pressing.
- Increased Versatility – By adding the mixing stage in between the crushing and pressing stages, juicing soft fruits has now become much easier and more effective.
- Increased Value – By including only the most popular items into one convenient package, there is only one model to Greestar Elite and only one optional accessory – soft fruit outlet adjusting knob.
VonShef Professional Slow Fruit Vegetable Masticating Juicer Machine
- Low Speed Extraction Method – the low speed of the motor makes extracting juice an efficient and energy-saving process. Extracts instead of grinding, retaining nutrients and enzymes for a healthier natural juice
- Suitable for a wide variety of ingredients including fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, wheatgrass and leafy veg (such as spinach, kale and parsley).
- Powerful 200W motor processes high fibre fruits and vegetables effortlessly without overheating. Ultra-quiet operation extracts juice quickly and quietly with a higher yield compared to traditional centrifugal juicers.
- Easy to dissemble and clean – simply pour water through between juices. Comes complete with cleaning brush, 0.8L pulp container and 0.8L transparent juice collecting jug. All parts are dishwasher safe
- Contemporary red design, sleek and compact in size for convenience. Size: L: 10.2 x W: 7.5 x H: 16.3 inches (approx.).
Hurom HU-100 Masticating Slow Juicer
- Using Hurom’s cold-pressing system, 35% more juice is extracted from your foods than with traditional high-speed juicers, leaving less and drier pulp.
- Hurom’s patented Slow Squeezing Technology™ (SST) gently squeezes ingredients, preserving natural taste & nutrients lost by high-speed juicers that grind and crush. Slow Squeezing Technology also retains heat-sensitive nutrients such as Vitamins A and C, and live enzymes.
- The Hurom masticating juicer can easily process fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, wheatgrass, nuts, and soy to make a variety of juices, milks, sauces, marinades, even baby food.
- Hurom’s durable motor has a 10-year warranty, uses only 150 watts of energy and is practically silent.
- The cold-press juicer features a heavy-duty Ultem® strainer and auger, which is eight times stronger than traditional plastics and handles both coarse and fine foods easily.
Kuvings NJE-3570U Masticating Slow Juicer
- Quiet, low-speed (80 rpm) operation with a reliable 170 watt motor
- Masticating technology for higher nutritional value
- Auto-feeding design for quick and convenient operation
- 7 different nozzles for food processing versatility (juicing, mincing, grinding)
- Easy to assemble, disassemble and clean